Beer and Liquor Licenses

A beer/liquor license is required for the retail sale of all alcoholic beverages.  The State of Iowa issues the licenses with approval from the City Council.

Before a business can be approved for a beer or liquor license, the applicant must contact the building department, which is located on the first floor of City Hall at 620 Erie Street, Storm Lake, Iowa to make sure the location that they wish to license is in the correct zoning district. A fire inspection and Health Department inspection also need to be completed.

After determining if the property location is properly zoned, an application needs to be completed electronically on the State of Iowa Alcoholic Beverages Division website.

After the application is submitted, it will go to the City Council for approval. Once it is approved, the license will be submitted to the State of Iowa Alcoholic Beverages Division for issuance. When issued the license will be mailed to the business.

For further information, please contact the City Clerk, at (712) 732-8000 or email.