Business Licenses

Business LicenseThe City of Storm Lake does not require business licenses; however, there are a number of key issues for new businesses starting up in Storm Lake.

  • The property needs to be zoned properly for the type of business. Contact the Building Department for zoning information. 712-732-8002 or email.
  • A sign permit is needed for any signage for the business. Contact the Building Department for a sign permit. 712-732-8002 or email
  • If remodeling the property contact the Building Department to determine if a building permit is required. 712-732-8002 or email. 
  • If serving alcoholic beverages, obtain a permit through the Iowa Alcoholic Beverages Division. You may also contact the Deputy City Clerk for more information. 712-732-8000 or email. 
  • If selling and serving food for general consumption, a health permit is required and is issued by the Buena Vista County Environmental Health Department. You may contact them at 712-749-2555.
  • Retailers that make taxable sales in Iowa will be required to hold a sales or use tax permit. Visit the Iowa Department of Revenue website for more information.
  • Construction Contractors need to be registered with the State of Iowa. Visit the Iowa Division of Labor website for more information.
  • The Iowa Department of Economic Development has developed information on licensing and operating your business in Iowa.