Electrician Licensing

The State of Iowa Department of Public Safety provides a statewide licensing program for electricians.

For more information, please contact the State Fire Marshal's Office at 866.923.1082 or email.

Doing Electrical Work in the City
If you or your firm will be doing electrical work within the City of Storm Lake, you must have a State electrical license(s). If you haven’t previously provided this information, please complete / provide the following items:

  • Provide us with your firm's State-issued license for all the work performed.
  • A copy of your insurance for the current calendar year must be on file in the Building Department. The insurance certificate must indicate that the applicant is carrying liability and completed products insurance in the amounts of $100,000 per occurrence and $300,000 total. These forms are not always sent automatically. Please include a copy with your State license.
  • Each Master and Journeyman electrician working in Storm Lake must be licensed.
  • Each electrical firm must retain the services of a Master electrician to oversee all work.
  • A Journeyman electrician must be present at the job site whenever electrical work is done. There shall be no more than three unlicensed personnel working under the supervision of a Journeyman electrician. We will be checking this, so carry your card at all times.
  • The City is currently enforcing the 2011 National Electrical Code.

Information may be mailed or dropped off in person at the Storm Lake Building Department, 620 Erie Street, or faxed to 712-732-4114.