News Flash Home
The original item was published from 9/18/2020 3:22:43 PM to 9/26/2020 6:05:03 AM.
Posted on: September 18, 2020
[ARCHIVED] Public Forum For Urban Chickens - update
For Immediate Release: 09/11/2020 ~ updated 09/18/2020
For more information contact:
Public Forum – Urban Chickens
The City of Storm Lake has scheduled two public forums on September 24, 2020 to discuss possible municipal code amendments regarding Urban Chickens. The forums are scheduled as follows:
September 24, 2020 – 7:30 AM ~ 8:30 AM
1-408-418-9388 access number 1468606925
King’s Point Resort - 1520 E Lakeshore Drive
September 24, 2020 – 6:00 PM ~ 7:00 pm
1-408-418-9388 access number 1460584167
King’s Pointe Resort - 1520 E Lakeshore Drive
Information from the public will be helpful to determine the appropriate revisions necessary in the Municipal Code to accommodate urban chickens.
Currently, the Code allows for chickens as one animal unit per acre. One animal unit is defined as ten chickens and an acre is 43,560 square feet. Generally, one chicken would be allowed on a 10,000 square foot lot. Current code addresses distance from property lines and inhabited structures and the need to clean areas to avoid nuisance violations.
Public comment on the following questions will provide direction as to the desire of the community in revising the current ordinance. It will be necessary to amend the current ordinance through the Planning and Zoning Board and City Council to reflect the desire of the community.
1. Are you in favor of amending current code to allow for more chickens on a property? Yes ___ No ____
2. Using a 10,000 square foot lot as an example, how many chickens should be allowed? 2 ____ 4 ____ 8 ____ Other ____
3. Should adjacent neighbors be contacted and signatures obtained showing approval? Yes ____ No ____
4. Should chickens be required to be housed in a coop and contained by secure fencing? Yes ____ No ____
5. Should a permit be required? Yes ____ No ____
We thank you for your valuable input regarding urban chickens! We look forward to receiving public comments and suggestions at the forums.